Originally Majvik was a summer place for Arthur Edvard af Forselles, the first professor of otorhinolaryngology at the University of Helsinki, and his family.
It is uncertain as to who built the old main building at Majvik or when it was built. In 1902, the famous trio of Finnish architects, Gesellius-Saarinen-Lindgren, built their own residence that also served as their atelier at Hvitträsk, which is located a few kilometres west of Majvik. Both Hvitträsk and Majvik have the same solutions and ornamentation that is typical of Art Nouveau. There is good reason to believe that one of the architects of Hvitträsk, more than likely Armas Lindgren, was also responsible for designing Majvik and that the main building was built during the period of time between 1904 and 1908.
The Finnish Union of Technical Employees, now Trade Union Pro, bought Majvik in 1974 and the new main building, Meeting and Convention Hotel Majvik, was opened in autumn 1990. The old Art Nouveau villa is mainly used for weddings and other special occasions.
The hotel accommodates normally 118 persons. With extra beds and with the use of four beds room up to 180 people can be accommodated. Majvik offers all modern facilities and an extensive art collection of modern Finnish paintings and graphics. There are more than 200 works of art from about 70 artists.
All photos are taken by the hotel staff Ulla Tiinus and Jussi Mäki.
The old Art Nouveau Castle “jugend villa” on a hill
View from the hotel
Morning at the beach
The beach sauna, one of six saunas
Slopes for brännball
There are two very large saunas in the main building
A swimming pool if the sea water is too cold
The long and light dining room
A pub with a small dancing floor and outdoor terrace
The congress hall
One of the lecture rooms with AV equipment
A normal double room
A smaller room where the chair can be transformed to a comfortable bed